The most common greeting among those who speak Swahili is ‘Hujambo’ (‘Hello’) or the more colloquial greeting of ‘Jambo’. Both greetings can be responded with the phrase ‘sijambo’, which means ‘I am well’. Other common greetings in contemporary Kenya include ‘sasa’ or ‘Mambo’.
What does Jambo mean in Kenya?
Jambo is a Swahili greeting or salutation. It is similar in meaning to the English word Hello.
How do you say bye in Kenya?
“goodbye” in Swahili
- kwa heri.
- kwa herini.
- tuonane tena.
How do you say good morning in Kenya?
If you want to be specific – to state the time of day – you can use the following: Habari za asubuhi (good morning) – nzuri (fine) Habari za mchana (good afternoon)
How do you say hello in Tanzania?
Key Swahili phrases
- ♦ “Hello”: “Hujambo”, often shortened to “jambo”. You can also use “habari” which roughly translated means “What’s the news about….?”. …
- ♦ “How are you?”: Ask “habari gani?”. …
- ♦ “Please”: “Tafadhali”
- ♦ “Thank you (very much)”: “Ahsante (sana)”
- ♦ “Goodbye”: “Kwaheri”
How do you greet someone in Kenya?
- Verbal greetings vary between different ethnic groups in Kenya.
- The most common greeting among those who speak Swahili is ‘Hujambo’ (‘Hello’) or the more colloquial greeting of ‘Jambo’. …
- Other common greetings in contemporary Kenya include ‘sasa’ or ‘Mambo’.
What does Moja mean in Kenya?
Her award-winning books Moja Means One and Jambo Means Hello were both illustrated by Tom Feelings.
How do you respond to Karibu?
Karibu. – Welcome. If there is more than one person visiting, the response is: Karibuni. – Welcome all.
What are some Swahili words?
- Yes: ndiyo.
- No: hapana.
- Thank you: asante.
- Thank you very much: asante sana.
- Please: tafadhali.
- OK: sawa.
- Excuse me: samahani.
- You’re welcome: starehe.
What language do Kenyan speak?
niaje (NEE-ya-jay): “Hello” in Sheng. Sheng varies from neighborhood to neighborhood and has a high turnover rate—words falling in and out of the lexicon on a regular basis.
What does Subalkheri mean?
Phrase. Dbnary: Wiktionary as Linguistic Linked Open Data.
What does the term Swahili mean?
Definition of Swahili
1 : a member of a Bantu-speaking people of Zanzibar and the adjacent coast. 2 : a Bantu language that is a trade and governmental language over much of East Africa and in the Congo region.
How do you say hello in Africa?
Here’s how to greet in Africa’s top 10 languages.
- Swahili. Hello – “Jambo” or “Hujambo,” or “Habari” …
- Amharic. Hello – “Selam” or “Iwi selami newi.” …
- Yoruba. …
- Oromo. …
- Hausa. …
- Igbo. …
- Zulu. …
How do you say hi in Korean?
To get you started though, here’s a quick list of Korean greetings:
- “Hello” (polite): 안녕하세요 (annyeong haseyo)
- “Hi” / “Hello” (casual): 안녕 (annyeong)
- “Good day” / “Hello” (formal): 녕하십니까 (annyeong hasimnikka)
- “Hello” when answering the phone: 여보세요 (yeoboseyo)
- “Good morning”: 좋은아침이에요 (joeun achimieyo)
How do you say hello in Zanzibar?
- Mambo/jambo/ Habari-hello.
- Habari za asubuhi- good morning.
- Habari za jioni-good evening.
- Shikamoo- how young people greet adults.