The Government House in Port Louis is one of the oldest buildings from the French colonial days which is still standing today. The construction began under the first French governors of the island, Nicolas de Maupin (1729 – 1735) and Mahé de Labourdonnais (1735 – 1746) and was the residence of the latter.
Who built Government House?
1845–1901. In 1835 the British Government agreed that a new Government House in Sydney had become a necessity, and the royal architect, Edward Blore, was instructed to draw up plans. Construction commenced in 1837 and was supervised by colonial architect Mortimer Lewis and Colonel Barney of the Royal Engineers.
Who built the Chateau de Reduit?
The State House (French: Le Château de Réduit) is the official residence of the President of Mauritius. Originally Le Réduit, it was built as a fortress for defence against attack by Pierre Félix Barthelemy David in 1749.
State House, Mauritius.
|The State House|
|Design and construction|
|Architect||Pierre Félix Barthelemy David|
When was government house built?
For seven decades Old Government House was the ‘country’ residence of ten early governors of the Colony, including Governor Lachlan and Mrs Macquarie, who, from 1810 to 1821, preferred the clean air and space of rural Parramatta to the unsanitary and crime ridden streets of Sydney Town.
Who is the current President of Mauritius?
President of Mauritius
|President of the Republic of Mauritius|
|Incumbent Prithvirajsing Roopun since 2 December 2019|
|Residence||State House (Official)|
|Nominator||Elected by members of the National Assembly on a motion made by the Prime Minister|
What is the use of Le Chateau du Reduit today?
It used to serve as the residence for former governors of Mauritius, but now it is the residence of the President. It’s built on 240 acres (0.97 km2). The château has a garden where a multitude of flowers grow, as well as exotic and native trees.
Why was the old government house built?
Built by convicts, it became the decision-making centre of the colony and served as the ‘country residence’ for the first ten Governors of Australia. There are 11 places that make up the Australian Convict Sites World Heritage series.
What is government house used for?
Government House is the official residence of the Governor of Victoria, the Hon. Linda Dessau AC, and her husband, Mr Anthony Howard AM QC, and is the primary venue for the Governor’s constitutional, ceremonial, community and international engagement activities.
Does the Governor live in Government House?
The history of Government House
The official residence of the Governor-General was originally a humble farmhouse built in the 1830s. … Sir Isaac Isaacs was the first Governor-General to live permanently at Government House in 1931. Further works to expand the house were undertaken during the 1940s.
What was Old Government House Parramatta used for?
A UNESCO World Heritage Site
The building played a significant administrative role during the convict era. It was also the ‘country residence’ of the first ten Governors of New South Wales. Today, this elegant Georgian house in the heart of Parramatta Park is open to the public as a museum.
Does the NSW Premier have an official residence?
Government House is the Official Residence and Office of Her Excellency the Honourable Margaret Beazley AC QC, 39th Governor of New South Wales and Mr Dennis Wilson. … In 1836 construction finally began on a new Government House.