In 1482, the Portuguese built St. George’s Castle (Elmina Castle). This vast rectangular 97,000sq ft fortification is the earliest known European structure in the tropics.
What was the first castle built in Ghana?
St. George’s d’Elmina Castle, built in 1482, is one of the oldest European buildings outside Europe, and the historic town of Elmina is believed to be the location of the first point of contact between Europeans and sub-Saharan Africans.
Which European countries built castles in Ghana?
During the colonial period in Ghana, at the time known as Gold Coast, European-style coastal forts and castles were built, mostly by Portuguese, Dutch and British. A number of these fortifications and outposts were designated World Heritage Site by UNESCO.
Who built Elmina Castle in Ghana?
Cape Coast Castle is a European-built fortress situated on the central coastline of Ghana. Since its initial construction in 1652, the Castle served as a trading post for European nations and as the headquarters of British colonial administration for the Gold Coast Colony.
Which European built the Osu Castle?
The castle’s origins can be traced to a lodge built by Swedes in 1652. Nine years later, the Danish built a fort on the site and called it Fort Christiansborg (“Christian’s Fortress”), named after the King of Denmark, Christian IV. Over time, the fort was enlarged and converted into a castle.
Where was the first castle school built in Ghana?
The Philip Quaque Boys School in Cape Coast beats them all in age. It is the first formal school in Ghana. Cape Coast holds the monuments of the Trans-Atlantic Slave trade and the Cape Coast castle, where European merchants pitched camp.
Which country built the Fort James?
It was built by the Royal African Company of England as a trading post for both gold and slaves in 1673, where it joined the Dutch Fort Crêvecœur (1649), and the Danish Fort Christiansborg (1652) along the coast of the then Gold Coast.
Fort James, Ghana.
Which European country built the Ussher Fort?
Ussher Fort is a fort in Accra, Ghana. It was built by the Dutch in 1649 as Fort Crèvecœur, and is a day’s march from Elmina and to the east of Accra on a rocky point between two lagoons. It was one of three forts that Europeans built in the region during the middle of the 17th century.
Who built Fort James?
Fort James is a fort in Accra, Ghana. It was built by the British as a trading post in 1673, where it joined the Dutch Fort Crêvecœur (1649), and the Danish Fort Christiansborg (1652).
When was El Mina Castle built?
Elmina Castle, Elmina, Ghana
Elmina Castle is the oldest European structure in sub-Saharan Africa.
Where did the British first settle in Ghana?
They encountered a variety of African kingdoms, some of which controlled substantial deposits of gold in the soil. In 1483, the Portuguese came to the continent for increased trade. They built the Castle of Elmina, the first European settlement on the Gold Coast.
Gold Coast (British colony)
|Colony of the Gold Coast|
|Today part of||Ghana|
Which castle was built by the Portuguese?
Elmina Castle was erected by the Portuguese in 1482 as Castelo de São Jorge da Mina (St.
|UNESCO World Heritage Site|
|Official name||Elmina Castle (St. George’s Castle / Fort St. Jorge)|
|Location||Elmina, Central Region, Ghana|
Which castle is the biggest in Ghana?
Cape Coast Castle is the largest of the buildings which contains the legacy of the trans-Atlantic slave trade and is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.